Highlights of your pregnancy journey with us include:
Professional, personalised and friendly care.
Our goal is not only for your pregnancy to have a successful outcome, but also for it to be an enjoyable and rewarding experience. We endeavour to provide the best quality professional care in a warm and friendly environment. I use the three words ‘information, communication and relationship’ that helps summarise our approach to your care.
I have managed over 10,000 pregnancies. I am an extremely experienced and highly skilled obstetrician.
Patients so often comment about how calm and confident I am, including during the unexpected crises that can happen in pregnancy and childbirth. Because they know I am not stressed, they comment they can relax.
I advise a new patient that they should endeavour to relax in their pregnancy and trust in my very considerable experience, my judgement, my careful management and in my caring nature, knowing I have theirs and their baby’s wellbeing as chief focus. I will always endeavour to communicate appropriately and with care, so you, as my patient, understand what is happening and are involved as much as possible in management options and in decision making.
We want to know, understand and accommodate your personal childbirth requests.
Having a baby is one of the most important times of your life. Being very conscious of this, we want to support you at this special time in such a way that not only do we celebrate with you the birth of your new baby but also at the end you tell us how pleased you have been with our care. Then we know we have done a good job.
We want to personalise your care to help you achieve a successful outcome for your pregnancy. You may want to adopt a particular position for labour and childbirth, you may want a vaginal delivery without stitches, you may want an elective Caesarean section, you may want to an attempt at a VBAC (Vaginal Birth After Caesarean). You may not want an epidural in labour or you may want a labour without pain and so an epidural. You may have other delivery preferences. I want you to discuss with me your plans and expectations, your thoughts, your requests, your concerns and your fears about childbirth so I can endeavour to tailor your pregnancy and childbirth management and endeavour to give you the childbirth experience you hope for.
I will try to avoid doing an episiotomy. I aim for my patients to have an intact perineum, and often achieve this. Failing this, I consider a perineal tear usually is more comfortable and heals better than an episiotomy. But if it looks like a large tear will happen or if a forceps delivery is needed then I will do an episiotomy. For most vacuum cup operative deliveries there is no need to do an episiotomy.
If an operative vaginal delivery is needed I endeavour to do this with the vacuum suction cap rather than using forceps as there is usually less patient trauma with the vacuum suction cap and often the patient has an intact perineum.
I have advised both hospitals that there should not be medical students in the delivery room while you are in labour. Childbirth is a very special time for you and your husband/partner. I consider it important for your privacy to be respected. There is an increasing number of public patients for medical student to witness childbirth.
With Caesarean sections I am very careful and fussy with closure. I close the uterus in three layers and I carefully close all abdominal layers. It takes a few minutes longer but I believe it is worth it as it results in less postoperative discomfort and better long-term healing.
- A thorough first consultation where I get to know you, and understand your expectations.
- FREE 2D, 3D and 4D ultrasound scanning of your baby at every antenatal visit. Images are also projected onto a large flat screen TV monitor in the examination room located on the wall at the end of the examination couch for convenient viewing by you and your family/friends attending. There is no out of pocket charge to you for our ultrasound scanning of you baby.
- FREE USB flash drive. We give you a personalised USB at your first visit so you collect a personal album of photos of your baby’s growth during pregnancy.
- Saturday morning antenatal appointment times so you and your husband/partner can more easily attend together.
- I do all patient consultations myself. I am keen to build a good relationship with you and this is facilitated by having only one-on-one consultations.
- Minimal waiting time for visits. Your time is important and there is nothing worse than having to wait a long time in doctor’s waiting room. We endeavour to run to time with appointments so you have minimal or no waiting.
If I am called away (usually to the hospital for a delivery) and my secretary knows I won’t be there when you are due to be seen she will phone you and ask you to reschedule your appointment so you don’t have to wait in my waiting room for me to return.
- FREE “meet and greet” consultation(no fee and no referral needed) so you can get to know us before committing.
- Well-located office with considerable parking and also a shopping centre with a Coles Supermarket, coffee shops and restaurants nearby.
- Our office is very comfortable and tastefully fitted out for your comfort and aesthetic appeal.
- Kiddies’ play areas in both the waiting room and my consulting room.
- Affordable pregnancy care fee. Your ‘out of pocket’ obstetrician expenses will be kept the least possible. ‘Quality care at an affordable price’is our motto.
- Convenient payment facilities. These include Medicare and health funds on-line, installment payment plans and electronic payment facilities (EFTPOS, Visa card, MasterCard and American Express).
- “No gap” practices for health funds for your in-hospital delivery fee charged by us. Your health fund will be billed instead of you and we will be paid in full by your health fund (if you are entitled). Assuming you belong to a ‘no gap’ program health fund there will be no delivery fee /gap for you to pay for this account.
Information and communication
I believe in providing you with the best quality and most easily accessed pregnancy information and communication channels.
Obstetric Excellence website. We website on our website. Patients say it presents so well, is so informative and comprehensive and so easy to navigate.
As well as this there is more information with our other internet sites:
- Facebook: We have two Facebook sites. We have a friend’s Facebook site (DrGarySykes.Obstetrician) where patients are invited to be ‘friends’, and there are lots of ‘proud parent’ photos, hospital photos, pregnancy ultrasound photos and personal photos. We also have a ‘fans’ site (ObstetricExcellence) that anybody can ‘like’. Here you will find lots of helpful information about pregnancy and pregnancy care.
- Twitter: where there are comments and there is lots of helpful information about pregnancy and pregnancy care.
- YouTube: Enjoy our channel and video clips
- Flickr: Our Flickr site has photos given to us by our wonderful patients.
- Instagram: Our Instagram site has photos given to us by our wonderful patients.
- We have lots of communication options for our patients to contact us with any questions and concerns. We want to keep in touch with you in your pregnancy and help you to not have questions, fears and concerns.
Our communication options include:
- Phone – (02) 9680 3004
- This web site-The contact us option on this website
- E-mail-E-mail email@example.com
- Facebook– by becoming a Facebook friend and then private messaging me – VERY POPULAR
- Twitter-Direct Twitter message
- Google +-Direct Google + message
- Linkedin-Direct Linkedin message
Our secretarial staff is extremely supportive, helpful and friendly. Our secretarial team consists of Kylee, Melissa, Emily and Robyn.
We are a ‘paperless’ office with all patient notes, records and reports entered into and stored on our secure computer system for efficiency, security and convenience. We utilise multiple secure backup storage strategies to protect your data long term. Having a paperless office means that – if needed – I can access your notes when I am at any location at any time.