Why does my back ache?
While backache can be a problem in the first trimester, it is usually more common as pregnancy advances. There is more strain on your back with the weight of the enlarged uterus. As well there are physiological and hormonal changes affecting your back, changes in your centre of gravity, etc. If you have a back problem it is often exacerbated in pregnancy.
What can be done?
- Rest as much as possible.
- Bend at the knees not at the back.
- Avoid high heels, lifting toddlers, heavy housework, etc.
- Velcro maternity belt and belly bands can help, especially in advanced pregnancy. Also see Links section of this web site.
- Pilates classes can help.
- Physiotherapists, chiropractors and osteopaths all can be of benefit.
- Have a remedial back massage regularly – why not? You deserve it!